Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Swamp People

Oh Louisiana, you are like no other state in this big country.   From New Orleans to the swamp to the Cajun culture you are so different and as we traveled to and from Texas we had to pass through you.

My children love, love, love, LOVE the show on the History Channel "Swamp People".   While planning this trip , knowing we were going to have to drive through Louisiana we thought we would go ahead and take the kids to New Orleans for one night and on the way back stop by a gator farm so they could learn, see and get the feel of the "Swamp People"


New Orleans is hot (a running theme on this trip),  we knew it would be, but hot and sticky like I have never felt before.   Even though it felt like we were walking through a steam bath, we hit the city to see at least the French Quarter before it got dark and not child friendly.

We went to the Cafe Du Mounde!   Needless to say it was a hit with everyone!

I took pictures of the amazing details of the oldest part of the city.
 We made our way  down to Bourbon St.  and after about 2 blocks made our way out - it isn't kid friendly anytime of day.

As we headed out the next morning we headed out,  Diane asked if we could drive through the 9th ward and see what it looks like this many years after Katerina.   We did and I am here to tell you that some of it looks like it did on the TV way back in 2005.    Many of the houses still had big "X"'s on them saying if the house had been checked and if anyone had been found alive or dead.      To be respectful I didn't take pictures. 


Back   on the road  down I-10.    I-10 is kind of crazy as it takes you right over the swamp.   Once we over the swamp we stopped to eat lunch at a local place and they had... gator on the menu!   Thomas my fearless eater had to try it.
We all tried it - I think my sister sums up eating gator best.  "all the taste of chicken and the texture of an eraser".     David says it is his new favorite food, I think he just likes saying he has eaten gator. 

On the way home we made another stop in LA ...
   I mentioned about my children (ok Chap and I like it too) love the show "Swamp People".  If you don't know what I am talking about let me fill you in.    There is only 1 month a year you can hunt alligators legally .  The History Channel has made a  documentary  about  hunting gators.      It is wild to see how they catch the gators, kill them and what they do with them.   It is wild to hear the Cajun's talk, you know they are speaking English, but the subtitles come in handy. Some of the people they find are down right amazing.    The show follows the hunters  and you get to  know them from watching and we have some favorites.   One of our favorite hunters is Bruce (the kids love his dog Tyler), he and his brother in law hunt, but they also own a Gator and Turtle Farm in Hammon LA.    You can take tours and by golly we did!     

Here are a few pictures from the tour...

This 1st one is my one of my favorite from the entire trip.   We were waiting on our tour and Diane sat down on the sofa.   I saw her and laughed - I had to take a picture.  Deer head, wood paneling, her sun hat, it was perfect.  I can not make this place up.   She is a good sport.

When my sister lived in the wild and crazy swamp she used to laugh about how all the men drove big trucks and these white boots where always in the back.   Seems that most of the hunters and fishermen where these things.   Always white.   The people on Swamp People wear them, our tour guide wore them and look you can even buy them in the gift shop!  (we didn't get any)




Margaret sits on the gator - we all sat on the gator except David - he is smarter then the rest of us.
 We held baby gators.
 And the boys held a big scary snake. 


Louisiana was a fun place to visit for 2 days, but it will not make it on my list of places I would like to live.   We had a good time.

1 comment:

  1. my brother lived in New Orleans for a while and he said it was nuts. UPS won't even leave your package with your neighbor no matter how well you know them and certainly not on your porch. He saw people shooting up drugs in the middle of the street...all sorts of things. We will have to look up the Gator show; my boy would LOVE it! Looks like you had a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete